Friday, January 30, 2009

Cotton Candy



Dec 2006-07
Arkavadi, Tamil Nadu.
These pictures were shot during 'Covering Deprivation'- a course in journalism school.
Found these languishing in a forgotten corner of my laptop. At the point these pictures were taken, I was grappling with questions...whether being in that village was voyeuristic. One of the village elders shot back once asking if anything could be changed by being written about or being captured in lens. It's been 2 years and I still don't have answers to any of those questions. I can cite examples, but they are not of my doing, not the change I thought I would bring about. Not the stories I want to tell.
The kids look happy.
Photo Credits: Nitin V George

3 comments:

  1. lovely pictures. and sometimes, u go to places, and ppl really hate ur camera, they wont look at u, but turn away in disgust. or maybe thts just a television thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no...this time it was the print guys who were getting slaughtered...i think it was one of the enthu cutlets who asked them a question...not just me with a camera you see...that was the time i thought tv is not just an idiot box and i will bring substance to every package and lead in that i write...i think i should keep my mouth shut!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think none of us have that answer. But the only thing I feel proud of, and yes, it is a matter of pride, that we guys atleast had an agenda, and a brain that was in a working condition. After two years of madness, I know one thing for sure that my greycells have stopped ticking, and I dnt even realise the difference between multiple realities that often come hammering.

    And yes, Nitin, I think, that this was the high point of life at ACJ, and I know that I can never work as hard as I did.

    Whether it was my 'intruding' camera, or the 'exclusion' of footage in the edit room, it was and is a great learning curve.

    ReplyDelete